Don’t worry if you are stuck and don’t know what is the capital of Pakistan. Here you will get all the details about the capitals of Pakistan. Wait what CAPITALS?
Yes, you are right! There is controversy about whether Pakistan has one capital or two capitals.
Don’t be confused, like other countries Pakistan also has one capital. The reason for the controversy is due to a change in the capitals.
Further, you will know what are those capitals that change from one to another over the years.
Capital of Pakistan country
|Capital of Pakistan
Islamabad is the current capital of Pakistan. Previously, the first capital of Pakistan was Karachi in Sindh, declared after independence. Pakistani military President, Ayub Khan decided to build Islamabad as a new capital city.
Soon after the partition of India country split into two parts India and Pakistan on 14 August 1947.
The change of Capital of Pakistan was after 20 Years from Karachi to Islamabad.
For a small period of time, Rawalpindi was also chosen as the Capital of Pakistan.
So there are amazing things in the newly established Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan.
- Islamabad was a planned city that was built in 1967 to replace Karachi as the capital of Pakistan.
- The name Islamabad means “The City of Islam” or “City of Peace“.
- Islamabad is located in the Pothohar Plateau, about 150 Km (93 miles) north of Rawalpindi city.
- It is surrounded by the Margalla Hills, which is a beautiful place.
- Islamabad is Divided into 9 sectors. The most important sector is F-7, which is home to the government buildings and Diplomatic Enclave.
- Other notable sectors include G-6, which has the Red Mosque, and H-8, which has the National University of Science and Technology.
- Islamabad has relatively more greenery in terms of Parks and Gardens.
- The most Famous Park is Shakarparian, which offers stunning views to visitors. And you can choose it as a place to visit before the die list.
- Residents say Islamabad is a relatively safe city, with a low crime rate, and a clean, good transportation system.
Provinces/States in Pakistan
Pakistan has many States. So here is the list of Pakistan’s capitals with their respective capitals.
|Islamabad Capital Territory
|Azad Jammu and Kashmir
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No, like other countries Pakistan also has one capital Islamabad (current). Before that the capital was Karachi. Also for a short period Rawalpindi was chosen as the capital of Pakistan after Karachi.
Islamabad means “The City of Islam” or “City of Peace”. Islamabad is the current capital of Pakistan and the estimated population in 2023 is 1,232,000 people which is a 2.84% increase from the previous year. The majority is Muslim.
Islamabad has been the capital of Pakistan since 1960. So, in 2000, the capital of Pakistan was still Islamabad.
Karachi was the old/first capital of Pakistan. It was chosen for 1947-1959. Islamabad was chosen in 1967. But 1959-1967 Rawal Pindi was chosen as the interim Capital of Pakistan.
Jhanda Khan. a Gakhar chief, named Rawalpindi. The name Rawalpindi means “Village of Rawals” in Urdu. Previously it was named Rawal village, this changed in 1493. The Gakhars were a Pashtun tribe.
Karachi is the biggest city in Pakistan. It has over 16 million people. Now Karachi is the Capital of the Sindh Province/State located on the Arabian Sea Coast.
Check out more amazing articles from this website here.